Friday, April 24, 2009

Quilt Festival

I'm entering an online quilt festival and needed to choose a favorite quilt to post. This is my favorite because of what I learned while working on it. I recently finished this quilt for my youngest son. I started his quilt well over a year ago and put it down when life got crazy. A couple of months ago I pulled it out and my son saw it and since then has been puttin' on the pressure it finish it up for him. The funny thing is.............I really didn't think he cared so much about it. I had one of those "Ahhh Hhhhh!" moments when we had this conversation........

Mom:
"Hey, if you have a really good week at school and can choose a Friday reward. What will it be!"


4th grader who got summeritis back in January:
"Oh, I know! finish my quilt maybe......?"


Mom:
"That would be a good thing..........I'll work on that."



So I did. I guess i was a little surprised at how much he wanted his quilt. Friday rewards are usually things like renting a movie, or your own box of your favorite cereal. Who knew how anxious my 10 year old was for a quilt made by his mom.



Flashback: As a girl of seven I had a grandmother who made quilts. On one of her visits my shyness was pushed aside when I opened my mouth and asked "Grandma, why haven't you made me a quilt? " Where did that come from? I'm sure I embarrassed my mother when this question just popped out of nowhere. To my little frame of a mind it was a deserved question that came straight from the heart. Missy and Wendy had quilts. Doll quilts. You know the one. The silhouetted pioneer girls with bonnets in pretty pastel calico prints.


The next time Grandma came to visit she had a quilt in her arms. Just for me.



I still have her quilt. It is neatly folded and hangs on a ladder in my family room. My kids know not to touch it.




This memory had to come from a little nudge from my son. Now I have a quilt for all my kids in progress.

for all you quilters......Thanks for your visit!

13 comments:

Zonnah said...

What a sweet story :) It looks so comfortable....mmmm it might be nap time.

Quilt Rat said...

Terrific quilt! great story, so glad you joined in this most fabulous festival

Anonymous said...

Awww...he looks happy with his quilt. Very pretty...nice work and good colors for a boy...I also loved the story of your childhood...great memory!!

Kriza said...

lovely quilt and story too.
Kristina
priscillacraft.blogspot.com

hetty said...

Your son is right. Every kid needs a quilt. It turned out great!

Unknown said...

How fun to know that he REALLY wanted it! Great quilt :) Thanks for sharing.

Linda said...

What a touching post. I want to see a picture of the "old" quilt by Grandma...

Anonymous said...

What a great post!

LaRae said...

So glad Jeffrey got his quilt and his Friday reward . . . and that long ago - you got yours too!

Grandma and Grandpa Clark said...

Good job Jill, It is a beautiful quilt and you make me feel guilty and not a very good grandma. I love you all so much though. Hope you all know that.

Josie said...

Jeffrey is a cheese ball

the Provident Woman said...

Great quilt.
http://theprovidentwoman.com

Stephanie said...

I love the quilt and I love the story even more......

I still have a quilt my grandmother made me! Love it.....It is a different type than the lovely one you made. It's VERY heavy and she used yarn on it as well. I love it very much and I miss my grandma....

Thanks for the memory reminder!