Friday, June 27, 2008

Yellowstone Field Trip

May 6th through May 10th, i was fortunate enough to go to Yellowstone National Park with 13 other fortunate kids in my 8th grade class. The end-of-the-year Yellowstone trip was something that I knew I had a good chance of being chosen to go, due to grades. But, i didn't really want to go, I'm really not an outdoorsy person. But, lucky for me, my mother 'inspired' me, or more like, 'convinced' me to go, telling me it was a good 'opportunity', so turned in my application. And, like expected, I got in. After packing, food, and winter clothing, I was on my way to Wyoming in a Le Bus, or a charter bus. In the mornings in Yellowstone were all very much the same. We woke up at 4:00 am, packed a breakfast and lunch, and climbed on the bus wearing snow pants, snow boots or hiking waterproof shoes, hats, heavy coats, sweaters, layers of other pants, layers of socks, and gloves. The reason for getting up at 4 in the morning, is because we were going to be animal sighting. We did sight animals. Like, wolves, bears, buffalo, birds, coyotes, deer, and elk. During the day, we would go on short and easy hikes to geological sites. Like, geysers, hot springs, rocks, minerals, and more rocks....Because of the weather, which was freezing, we did have to sight a lot of the animals and geological sites within our warm bus, which was OK with me. We got back to our Best Western hotel around 8:00, except for one day, we got back at 5:00 because the weather was so bad. On the last day, the day we went home, we went to a i-max movie called Yellowstone. It was good and fun.
After the first day of being on the trip, I was glad to be there, rather then in school. It was really fun, and probably the highlight of my 8th grade school year. The most fun parts of the trip were just being with friends. On the bus, and in the hotel, and in the park. Also, the teachers that took us were much better, and weirder, there then in their class rooms. All together, I thought it was very fun, and I would definitely go again, if I had the chance I would go again.








































1 comment:

LaRae said...

Josie - what a cool trip! I can't believe you saw wolves! What an adventure. Thanks for sharing.